Free School Meals
Free School Meals (FSM)
Free school meals are available to any full-time student (aged 5-18) who is still at school and eligible, even if your child chooses not to take a meal. By receiving your correct entitlement for free school meals, Rooks Heath will also receive increased funding and ultimately improve the level of resources we can provide for your child’s education. A substantial amount of this funding does not reach schools because not all parents who are eligible apply for free school meals for their child.
We are committed to ensuring that the personal and sensitive information that we hold about you is protected and kept safe and secure, and we have measures in place to prevent the loss, misuse or alteration of your personal information. We will only use the information you provide to assess entitlement to free school meals.
How to apply for Free School Meal
- Complete the attached FSM Application Form and return to the School Reception or email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- We will use the information provided to run a check on your eligibility via a Free School Meal Eligibility Checker.
- In some cases, we may need you to also provide the appropriate documents to support your application which will need to be dated within the last 3 months.
- Eligibility for FSM cannot be backdated.
- We will contact you to confirm their eligibility.
How does my child receive their Free School Meal subsidy?
- We will contact you to confirm the start date of their eligibility.
- The FSM allowance is added to their account each day and will show as a credit.
- The FSM allowance will remain active until the end of lunch-time. Any FSM allowance remaining after the end of lunch will be lost.
- Once your child has reached the allowance limit for the day, any additional expense will be taken from credit topped up via ParentPay.
- As all students at the School now use the biometric system in the Rookery, we can assure you that the whole process operates discreetly.
How long will my child receive Free School Meals?
Whilst Universal Credit is being rolled out and the phasing out of other income-bases benefits, your child will continue to be entitled until the end of their current phase of education, therefore you only need to complete this form once and it will last for the duration of your child’s time at Rooks Heath until the end of Year 11. These protections are only in place on an individual child basis, not family basis. This means that children will not become automatically entitled to free school meals simply because their sibling receives transitions protections. A new application will be necessary for all students joining our Sixth Form.