Careers Week - 5th to 9th July 2021
Careers Week – 5th to 9th July
There has never been a time when careers guidance has been as important for young people as it is today. The landscape of education, training and employment opportunities that students need to navigate is more complex and more challenging than that faced by previous generations. While the economy is beginning to recover from the disruptions caused by the recent pandemic, levels of youth unemployment and under-employment are still high. The raising of the age for participating in learning means that young people face a wider range of choices of courses and places to study.
It is with this in mind that we would like to focus on careers week, providing opportunities for students to experience the world of work through their various subjects, making them better prepared for the world outside Rooks Heath.
Here is a programme for the week.
1) Tutor time activities around careers
- Monday – Year 7 - Speaker: Ms Remi Ogbe from Google
- Wednesday – Year 9 at 0845 - Speaker: Ms Nazreen Visram from Barclays
- Wednesday – Year 10 at 1500 - Speaker: Mr Vishal Harji from Balfour Beatty
3) In addition to this, teachers of all subject areas will be delivering lessons with a STEM/Careers theme. This should bring subjects to life and show the importance of these subjects in various fields in the real world. It is a great opportunity for students to see the value of each subject and how it fits in with their career aspirations, thereby giving teachers the chance to increase the uptake of their subject by students for GCSE and Post-16 options.
Finally, LifeSkills is a free education programme for 11-24 year olds to help build the skills to move students forward into the modern workplace.
We hope it will be an inspirational and enjoyable week for all.